At the Université de Liège, more than 2,500 professors, researchers, PhD students and technicians are involved in research, transferring their knowledge and discoveries to peers, students and the public.
ULiège pursues high-quality research and is internationally recognized in all scientific fields. It is involved in fundamental research and regional development programs, and collaborates with the best European and international institutions.
The University of Liège subscribes to the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and has been awarded the "HR Excellence in Research" label by the European Commission in recognition of its long-term commitment to the continuous improvement of working conditions and career development for its researchers.
ULiège's strengths in Research
As a public university open to the world and rooted in the scientific, cultural and economic development of its region, the University of Liège offers everything you need to excel in Research:
- Excellence: Anchored in networks of excellence and committed to the HRS4R charter, the Université de Liège develops and promotes cutting-edge, international, multidisciplinary research that is directly linked to its teaching. As a leader in several research fields, you'll work alongside renowned researchers, stimulating your creativity.
- Ethics and scientific integrity: ULiège promotes quality research conducted by responsible researchers. It encourages ethical practices and principles in the various research disciplines, as well as the standards underpinned by the various national, sectoral or institutional codes of ethics. These practices and principles are reaffirmed by its signature of the DORA declaration and the CoARA agreement and our commitment to and recognition by the European Union of the "HR Excellence in Research" label for human resources management in research.
- Open Access: ULIège has played a pioneering role in open access to scientific publications. With almost 210,000 Open Access publications, it is now one of the largest academic libraries in Europe. It is also working towards models that facilitate Open Data and Open Innovation.
- Internationally renowned research centers: from space to human migration, biomedical sciences, animal health, agri-food and the environment, ULiège's research centers are leaders in their fields. Equipped with the latest technologies, they collaborate and share their knowledge throughout the world.
- Collaborative environment: At ULiège, interdisciplinarity is encouraged, broadening your horizons. Numerous tools are available to stimulate your research and collaborate with a large number of potential partners: researchers at the University and also with other Universities, companies and all socio-economic players in the broadest sense.
- International network: ULiège maintains worldwide partnerships, offering mobility and openness to new ideas.
- Personalized support: Your supervisors and administrative staff will provide you with the support you need to make the most of your doctoral studies, while fostering your academic and professional development.
Key figures 2023
- 5 892Researchers (from R1 to R4)
- 281 Mio€annual budget allocated to Research
- 39%of the budget from research agreements
- 105Current projects funded by the European Union
- 13projects funded by an ERC
- 1793Research agreements in progress
- 90partner countries under research agreements
- 1422Patents granted (cumulative)
- 110Active Spin-offs
The RISE department is responsible for the development and management of university research and the transfer of knowledge from research units. To encourage collaboration, RISE also works to create a dynamic of exchanges between researchers and socio-economic players, enabling them to make contact with potential partners.