Are you thinking of pursuing a doctorate? Here are a few steps you can take to ensure you're on the right track!
ULiège has almost 2300 doctoral candidates, men and women of all nationalities and cultural backgrounds, who are as passionate as they are creative and persevering.
All of them have a doctoral project that they take far beyond national borders, through their publications, the development of a broad international scientific network through participation in congresses, colloquia, training courses and research stays abroad, as well as through the composition of their thesis committee. Doctoral candidates not only energize research units, but also contribute to the dissemination of knowledge within the Society thanks to the many outreach activities in which they are actively involved.
The doctoral process alternates between doctoral training, research and thesis writing, leading to the final stage, the thesis defense.
ULiège ensures that all doctoral candidates can carry out their research training in the best possible conditions. As far as possible, it covers research costs, with the support of promoters and partners.
During the PhD preparation, all doctoral candidates must acquire a doctoral training certificate, known as a "certificat de formation à la recherche" (research training certificate).
Find all the regulations and texts relating to the preparation of a doctoral thesis, doctoral colleges by faculty and intellectual property.
The Network of PhD Candidates (ReD) at the Université de Liège is a free gathering of doctoral students which, since 2007, has represented and brought together doctoral candidates from the ULiège region, without geographical, faculty or scientific barriers.
In 2022, 267 PhDs graduated from the Université de Liège, after defending their theses.
Theses on a wide range of subjects, written in French, English or Italian, have propelled our Doctor-es to the four corners of the world.
Why a PhD at ULiège?
As a public university open to the world and rooted in the scientific, cultural and economic development of its region, the University of Liège offers everything you need to excel in your doctoral training:
- Excellence in Research: Anchored in networks of excellence and committed to the HRS4R charter, the Université de Liège develops and promotes cutting-edge, international, multidisciplinary research that is directly linked to its teaching. A leader in several research fields, you'll work alongside renowned researchers, stimulating your creativity.
- State-of-the-art infrastructure: Benefit from access to laboratories equipped with the latest technologies.
- Collaborative environment: At ULiège, interdisciplinarity is encouraged, broadening your horizons. Numerous tools are available to stimulate your research and collaborate with a large number of potential partners: researchers at the University and also with other Universities, companies and all socio-economic players in the broadest sense.
- Réseau des Doctorants: Open to all doctoral candidates motivated to get involved and participate in the life of their University and within it, the ReD is an independent association enabling doctoral candidates to exchange, work between us or set up projects that make sense for each other and for their peers.
- International network: ULiège maintains worldwide partnerships, offering mobility and openness to new ideas.
- Personalized support: Your supervisors and administrative staff will provide you with the support you need to make your doctoral trainings as smooth as possible, while promoting your academic and professional development.
- Dynamic doctoral life: Enjoy a lively student life in Liège, a cultural and stimulating city. ULiège also supports its network of doctoral candidates and provides them with a PhD House, a place for research-related training and activities.