Toujours prêts à échanger et à découvrir de nouveaux horizons, les doctorants de l’Université de Liège représentent 76 nationalités différentes. Une ouverture sur le monde favorisée par leur formation.
It is important to ULiège to allow the doctoral student to carry out their training as a researcher in the best possible conditions, as it has officially committed to doing by adhering to the European Charter for Researchers. With the sponsors, their research units and with other research funding bodies, the university takes on the research costs of doctoral students insofar as possible and according to its means.
Opportunities exist within and outside the university, that the doctoral student is responsible for seeking, with the help of their sponsor, of the Research Administration or of the ULiège Department of Scholarships Heritage Foundations. It remains the case that all funding in research is extremely competitive. A PhD student may be enrolled in the doctorate without funding, thus having a student status only, but this is a position which remains more fragile, which is the reason why certain sponsors and/or doctoral colleges do not accept to supervise a PhD student under these circumstances -- especially since research can be costly, sometimes greatly so.
Finding funding for my research project
Research positions assigned by ULiège or the FRS-FNRS to doctoral students with a very comprehensive social security coverage and are particularly attractive. Different types of positions co-exist:
- Mandate of assistant, which provides the opportunity to lead a pedagogical management activity of students and a doctoral research activity (2-year contract, renewable 2 times)
- PhD scholarship, awarded for research work exclusively (maximum 4 years) by the university, the FNRS, the FRIA or other funds (European, cooperation...)
- Employment contract as a researcher
Integrate a research project (institutional, international/networked)
Offers are regularly available for PhD students, in the framework of institutional or international projects, or in European networks of doctoral training.
Funding my mobility
Financing my post-thesis
What future for PhD-holders? The research profession is fascinating, and many wish to continue and offer their expertise and passion. How does one take things further? Where? With what status? Opportunities for stabilisation are very few and quite competitive. But they exist...
For an academic or scientific career within a university, a long-term post-doctoral stay is essential. It allows you to open yourself up to the world of research abroad, to learn other practices while there, and to broaden your vision. ULiège helps researchers in this approach through subsidies for international mobility that it grants for this purpose, or through the contacts of the Mobility Centre.
A few possibilities:
- a position as research fellow or qualified researcher at the FNRS, for doctors with a very high level scientific profile;
- a post-doctoral position, awarded by the FNRS, the University from its own funds or from European projects - if the researcher is a foreigner in a framework of international mobility;
- a researcher position, at the beginning of their career or experience, on a research contract led by a research team or a permanent research mandate at the University;
- an academic course load;
- a post doctoral fellowship abroad (obtained via the scientific networks built during the thesis).
Opportunities outside of the university
The professional experience acquired through doctoral research can be valorised in several ways and lead to a wide range of employment opportunities. Thus, it's all about making a choice and asking oneself the right questions. Businesses, especially technological, are now demanding the skills of young researchers and offer interesting opportunities. The doctorate allows you to acquire highly sought-after skills: autonomy, diligence, attitude toward stress, toward challenges, scientific expression, in-depth technical competence, project management skills, etc. It's about putting them forward.
For personalised assistance in finding a job after your PhD, don't hesitate to contact:
- The career platform: ULiège Career Center: job search assistance for ULiège graduates
- The asbl Objectif recherche, specialised in the coaching and accompaniment of young doctors toward employment
- ULiège offers transversal programmes specifically oriented toward the "post-thesis" and career opportunities
Il est particulièrement important de savoir quoi retenir de sa formation, et comment mettre en pratique ces acquis dans le monde de l'entreprise.
Quatre docteurs témoignent de ce qu'il reste du doctorat, après le doctorat.
To learn more...
- The CAREER survey: this French survey showed that there exists a pool of skills specific to doctors. These skills, taken in isolation, are not specific to doctors; but it is finding all these skills together in doctors which is specific.