Excellence & Innovation
The University of Liège pursues high quality researchers and is internationally recognised across the scientific fields. It is involved in fundamental research and regional development programmes, whether in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, across the border, or throughout Europe.
University of Liège, a university of research
More than 2500 lecturers, researchers, doctoral students, and technicians are involved in the University of Liège's research programmes. They transfer their knowledge and their discoveries to their peers, students, and the public. Some of their research topics are particularly original and innovative, which positions the university as a leader in research and enables it to work with the top global and European institutions. There are successful partnerships between researchers from different fields and businesses and funding bodies.
The University of Liège’s strategic plan 2017-2021 has established 12 objectives to strengthen its missions. Three goals are reserved for “allowing the development and enhancement of excellent, multidisciplinary research directly linked to teaching”:
In terms of research, the University of Liege offers several possibilities for
- Boosting doctoral training and supporting researchers (for the benefit of the researcher)
- Strengthening excellence in research (for the benefit of the research community)
- Sharing the knowledge and harbouring innovation (for the benefit of society)
Projects and action plans
A series of specific projects and action plans are being implemented to achieve:
- Doctoral Council course of action
- HR strategy for researchers (HRS4R)
- Organisation of research unions and support committies
- Development of excellent research projects
- Support for innovation, creativity and interdisciplinarity
A permanent overview, as a means to observe and report the progress of the research undertaken at the University of Liège. It allows the university to analyse the strengths, weaknesses, assets and development of the institution and its research units.